The Director of Government Relations role requires a skillful, pragmatic, flexible and a locally sensitive approach, and is of critical importance to the future success of PayPal and its potential growth in China. The role reports to the Asia-Pacific Head of Government Relations, based in Singapore, also working very closely with the Business Head for Greater China, based in Shanghai. The Director of Government Relations, China, is responsible for providing strategic Government Relations (GR) counsel and program support and implementation for PayPal’s business relating to China. This person will work with national and local governments, industry associations, academia and our customers and partners to contribute to discussions concerning the policy environment, protect PayPal’s reputation and help PayPal grow its interests in China.
• Providing PayPal local and regional management and PayPal’s regional and global Government Relations (GR) teams with legislative, executive and regulatory advocacy.
• Play a key role on local PayPal Leadership Team, which sets the strategic direction and priorities for our local businesses.
• Responsible for the planning and execution of strategic GR plans, including regulatory and public policy matters for PayPal in China as appropriate.
• Managing any external consultants and coordinating with PayPal Legal, Enterprise Risk and Compliance, Communications and Strategy teams, alongside other company functions as required.
• Coordinating analysis and monitoring of legislative and administrative initiatives impacting PayPal in China.
• Drafting public policy position papers.
• Participating in international and domestic trade associations, such as the Payment and Clearing Association of China, US-China Business Council and the American Chambers of Commerce in China.
• Establishing, reinforcing, enhancing and maintaining excellent contacts with key government officials, including legal, legislative, regulatory and law enforcement individuals and entities, in conjunction with other PayPal teams where appropriate.
• Specifically, develop and maintain cooperative relationship with federal and local government stakeholders for payments and financial services, including the PBOC, SAFE and municipal authorities.
• Assisting in the formulation of worldwide PayPal Government Relations strategy; liaise with colleagues in Legal and GR worldwide.
• Helping to ensure that PayPal is always compliant with relevant laws and regulations by close cooperation with PayPal’s appropriate Legal and Compliance Directors.
• Providing clear, concise and commercially aggressive advice on government policy issues related to the operation and regulation of PayPal’s businesses as they relate to China, in close coordination with PayPal’s local business management and corporate functions such as the Legal team.
• Minimum seven years relevant government relations experience in: payments, financial services, consumer/retail banking, e-commerce, or similar businesses.
• Previous work experience with a matrix-styled organization is considered of relevance.
• Excellent written, verbal and communications skills.
• Can functionally and intuitively respond effectively, execute quickly and decisively, comfortable with ambiguity.
• Possess sound judgment, resourcefulness, confidence, humility and a sense of humour.
• Understand how to develop strong and advantageous relationships inside the business to leverage internal resources and assets.
• University degree required.